Want to sing with us?
Commonwealth Chorale is a community-based organization that takes music-making seriously, constantly striving to improve as an ensemble and achieve ever-higher levels of musicianship.
Commonwealth Chorale views focused, productive, fast-paced rehearsals as the means towards experiencing the full joy of learning and singing musically.
The Chorale is a warm and welcoming community, whose social side takes place at breaks and home parties.
We look for new members with fine voices that blend, basic knowledge of and ability with vocal technique, good musical skills (including sight-reading), and devotion to the art of ensemble singing. A friendly, blending personality is also appreciated.
Please contact us if you think Commonwealth Chorale may be the right fit!
Commonwealth Chorale will hold auditions for experienced singers for all parts by appointment in early January 2017.
The audition is approximately 10 minutes in length and includes a short prepared piece (either an art song, aria, or section of a classical choral work) , sight singing, pitch matching, intervals and scales.
Please e-mail or call 617-364-3697 with any questions.
Commonwealth Chorale rehearses every Tuesday night (7:30–10:00) between September and May at Eliot Church, Centre and Church Streets, Newton Corner. NCS encourages experienced choral singers to consider auditioning.
Are you a match for Commonwealth Chorale?
- read music well and will put in extra time between rehearsals to master music already covered
- enjoy being challenged musically, including singing newly commissioned pieces and rarely performed works, as well as great masterworks
- sing in different languages, including German, Latin, French, Hebrew, and English (but sometimes Old Church Slavonic!)
- are accustomed to fast-paced and disciplined rehearsals, striving to achieve our conductor’s nuanced interpretations as early as possible in the rehearsal process (often by devoting extra time to the music at home between Tuesdays)
- enjoy each other’s company at social events, and at break, but don’t chat during rehearsals!
- dedicate an average of two hours per month on volunteer tasks and projects for the organization, according to their skills, talents, and available time.
- reach out to the community with our gift of music, via additional performances and informal trips to nursing homes, etc.
For more information and to schedule an appointment for an audition, e-mail us, or call us at 617-364-3697. Auditions in September and January.
The rights and responsibilities of Commonwealth Chorale members can be found here.