Want to sing with us?
Commonwealth Chorale is a community-based chorus that takes music making seriously, constantly striving to improve as an ensemble and achieve ever-higher levels of musicianship.
Commonwealth Chorale views focused, productive rehearsals as the means towards experiencing the full joy of learning and singing musically.
The Chorale is a warm and welcoming community, whose social side takes place at breaks and home parties.
We look for new members with voices that blend, good vocal technique, well developed musical skills (including sight-reading), the drive to continuously improve and devotion to the art of ensemble singing. A friendly, blending personality is also appreciated.
Please contact us if you think Commonwealth Chorale may be the right fit!
Commonwealth Chorale will hold open rehearsals and auditions for experienced singers in all parts by appointment on September 5 & 12, 2017.
If you would like to attend an open rehearsal, plan to arrive a few minutes prior to 7:30 pm. Please be certain to park on the street. The church parking lot is small and reserved for church business. Call or email if you have any questions.
Auditions are approximately 10 minutes in length and include a short prepared piece (an art song, aria, or section of a classical choral work), sight-reading, pitch matching, intervals and scales.
Please e-mail or call 617-364-3697 with any questions.
Commonwealth Chorale rehearses every Tuesday night (7:30–10:00) between September and May at Eliot Church, Centre and Church Streets, Newton Corner. NCS encourages experienced amateur choral singers to consider auditioning.
Are you a match for Commonwealth Chorale?
- read music well and are accustomed to disciplined rehearsals, striving to achieve our conductor’s nuanced interpretations and carry that knowledge forward as rehearsals progress;
- enjoy being challenged musically, including singing newly commissioned pieces and rarely performed works, as well as masterworks;
- sing in different languages, including German, Latin, French, Hebrew
- enjoy each other’s company at social events, and at breaks, but don’t chat during rehearsals!;
- dedicate an average of two hours per month to volunteer tasks and projects for the organization, according to their skills, talents, and available time;
- are willing to commit to three performances a season; and
- reach out to the community with our gift of music, via additional performances and informal trips to nursing homes, etc.
For more information and to schedule an appointment for an audition, e-mail us, or call us at 617-364-3697. Auditions are held in September and January.
The rights and responsibilities of Commonwealth Chorale members can be found here.